Tuesday, July 2, 2013

SOCS - A modeling method for high school physics instruction.

SOCS - P

I guess the theme that struck me was that in order to be a good modeling teacher, one must tirelessly work at improving your craft.  You must have a full understanding of all aspects of the relevant models and also be "acutely aware" of the likely misconceptions held by your students.  Wells said that to do this would take ten years of concerted, focused effort!!

I am so glad that I have been afforded this opportunity, and am more motivated than ever to get better and better at the modeling process.  I am jealous, in a way, that other members of my cohort (Joanna, Ransom, Christopher, and Travis, to name a few) will get to teach practically their entire careers as modeling instructors. While I will not be so lucky, I embrace the chance to do this until I choose to retire!

"A modeling method for high school physics instruction" by Wells, Hestenes, and Swackhamer.  The American Journal of Physics, July 1995, pp. 606 - 619.

No comments:

Post a Comment